Spring is a time to shed the bulky clothes and jackets, and usher in the warmer weather It’s also a great opportunity to shed your unwanted bulk and change-up your workout routine, or maybe even start a new one. Below you’ll find five tips on how to get into the spring swing of things, and start this season fresh and new.
- Try a new Workout Routine. Part of being healthy and staying fit is developing a solid workout routine and sticking to it. But what happens when that routine gets too routine? It’s important to keep your exercises fresh and stay open-minded to various methods of fitness. Try some routines or classes that you may not be familiar with. For example; TRX Suspension training, Kettlebells, kickboxing, Bar Method, Pilates, Yoga or Zumba. Varying your workout routine regularly keeps your body guessing and prevents the results from plateauing. Results begin once you step out of your comfort zone.
- Eliminate bad nutritional and gym habits. This one may be easier than you think. We all know that foods and habits that get us into trouble. The problem is avoiding them and developing healthier habits in place of them. If you know the gym is crowded and you won’t be able to get in a solid routine when you get home from work, go in the morning. It beats waiting in line for equipment or skipping the gym altogether. If you are a night-time snacker, give yourself healthier options to snack on at night. It is said it takes 21 days to start a habit. Start today and take it one day at a time.
- Plan for Success. This builds upon my previous point. Strategize your days, and plan for possible pit falls. What’s one major area of your health and fitness that needs the most work. Focus on that one area and give yourself the tools needed to succeed at that.
- Follow Best Practices. There is a reason why someone looks and feels like they do, or why a certain instructor or trainer is always busy. Whatever they’re doing is getting them or their clients results. Speak with this person and see what’s going well for them. Chances are it might just work for you. And if it doesn’t, at least you’ve tried something new.
- Have the COURAGE to IMPROVE. This is the most important tip of them all. Improving upon oneself is never easy, so it takes courage to look deep inside and say to yourself, enough is enough. Even the longest journey starts with a first step. Now is the time to start the journey to being the healthy individual you were meant to be.